The father of a friend is a retired machinist, and still has access to his friend’s machine shop, so we took all my T-slots pieces to the machine shop and counterbored all the required holes for the 80-20 anchor fasteners.
A toilet was a key component of our build, since we’ll often be camping well away from amenities, and we liked the idea of a “composting” (more properly a separating) toilet.
One of our key priorities for the van was more light and more airflow. We liked the awning window idea, and the best option we found for behind the driver was Eurovision windows.
At invitation of HarryN from the Sprinter Forum, we drove up to Livermore to check out his new shop. He does some nice work with prepackaged electrical systems, with all components built into a flight case:
I got the bulk of our insulation completed before New Years, but some insulation and sound deadening dragged on. Today I made a bit of progress on the sliding door and rear wheel wells.
I’ve ordered a toilet and a window for behind the driver, but haven’t decided how to lay out the rest of the van yet. CAD to the rescue!
I’m so accustomed to the lack of rain here in California that I didn’t bother to check the forecast earlier in the week before taking the van to work. I had only half-completed the roof vent install, leaving the final waterproofing. One torrential downpour later I discovered that the waterproofing was needed!
Now that we have a bed, floor and some insulation, the van is usable for overnight trips. My goal was to be ready for an overnight by year-end, and we made it! (albeit barely)
Back when I thought I would have access to an adequate machine shop with my TechShop membership, I decided to build bed and cabinets from 80-20 T-strut extrusions. I’ve never used aluminum extrusions before - most of my experience is with wood, so this would let me learn something new.
This is a temporary floor, so I’m using cheap 1⁄4” maple plywood, mainly to see how well it stands up. We decided to paint it with remaindered house paint, again since it’s temporary.
Between track saw and jigsaw, I’ve cut the 1⁄4” maple ply to fit, and test fit in the van. A good Thanksgiving project. I’m quite pleased with the tracksaw, although the Makita instructions are pretty brief and limited. I’m not convinced I’m getting the precision that it’s capable of, but it’s good enough for this project.
- OLDER POSTS
- page 1 of 2