We didn’t want too much weight up high, but needed more storage. I really like Peter Masson’s implementation of soft-sided upper cabinets using simple duffel bags, so we copied it.
The father of a friend is a retired machinist, and still has access to his friend’s machine shop, so we took all my T-slots pieces to the machine shop and counterbored all the required holes for the 80-20 anchor fasteners.
A toilet was a key component of our build, since we’ll often be camping well away from amenities, and we liked the idea of a “composting” (more properly a separating) toilet.
One of our key priorities for the van was more light and more airflow. We liked the awning window idea, and the best option we found for behind the driver was Eurovision windows.
At invitation of HarryN from the Sprinter Forum, we drove up to Livermore to check out his new shop. He does some nice work with prepackaged electrical systems, with all components built into a flight case:
I can’t remember where I saw the recommendation for this front windshield and window cover, but it’s great.
I got the bulk of our insulation completed before New Years, but some insulation and sound deadening dragged on. Today I made a bit of progress on the sliding door and rear wheel wells.
I’ve ordered a toilet and a window for behind the driver, but haven’t decided how to lay out the rest of the van yet. CAD to the rescue!